• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

The largest minority I remember a time when I was embarrassed to speak the language - Ni de aqui ni de alla

lisa

Best answers
By SAMANTHA LOPEZ

It’s the start of the school year—the start of Fall—and the middle of Hispanic Heritage Month. Walking around campus, I see students of varying ethnicities and backgrounds. I overhear chatter and notice different languages and accents fill the air. I hear a group of students speaking Spanish, and this brings a smile to my face.

I remember a time when I was embarrassed to speak the language that my parents grew up speaking. Being born in the United States, I learned Spanish alongside English, but my parents spoke to my brother and me primarily in English so that we wouldn’t “develop an accent” and we could “blend into American culture more easily.” My Spanish grew more and more limited as the years went on. This eventually resulted in a challenging view of my cultural identity, both within myself and in how others viewed me.

AMY

Best answers
I think many Mexican Americans feel the same way when growing up in the U.S. but I don’t have a problem in Mexico, probably because I can speak Spanish well enough

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad