• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

Mexican American Politics Los Angeles city council president Nury Martinez - Leaked Audio File

Freddy

Administrator
Staff member
Best answers

Council president Nury Martinez was targeted for bashing blacks by the media, but that wasn't the only group being bashed during her racist rant. Those comments overlooked by the media were Mexicans from Oaxaca and Koreans.

So while the media wants to paint this as a Mexican vs Black problem, it's much bigger than that. It also shows the ugly side of self-hatred or colorism by many who hold power.

Last edited:

Freddy

Administrator
Staff member
Best answers
‘I thought we had made great progress in the last three years in gaining recognition,’ said one Oaxacan, who criticized remarks by an L.A. City Councilmember.
Ivan Vasquez.PNG

“I thought we had made great progress in the last three years in gaining recognition,” Vasquez said. “Many Oaxacans like me, we have businesses. We contribute to the city the same or more than other minorities and white people.”

The comments, he said, reflected a lack of knowledge about L.A. Indigenous culture.

“I'm brown, I'm short, but I’m here in L.A. L.A. belongs to us,” said Vasquez, who echoed the calls for resignations. “And we're not going anywhere.”

lisa

Best answers
‘I thought we had made great progress in the last three years in gaining recognition,’ said one Oaxacan, who criticized remarks by an L.A. City Councilmember.View attachment 99

“I thought we had made great progress in the last three years in gaining recognition,” Vasquez said. “Many Oaxacans like me, we have businesses. We contribute to the city the same or more than other minorities and white people.”

The comments, he said, reflected a lack of knowledge about L.A. Indigenous culture.

“I'm brown, I'm short, but I’m here in L.A. L.A. belongs to us,” said Vasquez, who echoed the calls for resignations. “And we're not going anywhere.”

Colorism or racism shouldn't be tolerated by anyone. The problem now is that it will only set back Mexicans in LA county, as it will be used by liberals and other groups to advance their agenda at the expense of Mexican representation.

Juan

Best answers
She should have been fired and not allowed to take days off or resign & a max of 2 term limits should be implemented for any new council member. How are these people working in the same positions for so long?

Hazer

Best answers
The media is already salivating at the chance to pick the next Latino leaders.

Juan

Best answers
I had a conversation with my an older friend about this and he told me that his dad used to call him those same names whenever he got up on top of something, needless to say I still don’t think it makes it ok. Especially if it’s towards any ethnic group. And the end of the day they should have been more respectful towards everyone that wasn’t in that room.

They failed everyone and made all the other Mexicans look bad, it’s not like the 90’s when Mexicans had to fear of getting jumped by other ethnic groups, but they made every Latino look bad. Just look at how the news is pushing this story :rolleyes:

Eric

Best answers
I had a conversation with my an older friend about this and he told me that his dad used to call him those same names whenever he got up on top of something, needless to say I still don’t think it makes it ok. Especially if it’s towards any ethnic group. And the end of the day they should have been more respectful towards everyone that wasn’t in that room.

They failed everyone and made all the other Mexicans look bad, it’s not like the 90’s when Mexicans had to fear of getting jumped by other ethnic groups, but they made every Latino look bad. Just look at how the news is pushing this story :rolleyes:
Getting called chango in Mexican families is normal. The problem is that person being called one is not Mexican, you need to make sure you checked off all the things you can’t say to some people before you say them 🤫

Flex

Best answers
According to LATIMES: Los Angeles police have launched a criminal investigation into the recording of a conversation that included racist comments and was leaked online, leading to the resignation of two officials involved, the police chief said.
“The department has initiated a criminal investigation into an allegation of eavesdropping,” Moore said.

It is illegal in California to record a confidential communication without the consent all parties involved.

My guess is, the person that recorded this conversation is going to be a disgruntled assistant that perhaps participated in past inflammatory talks and only recently leaked these because of their grievances with Nury Martinez . I have an idea who that was, but i don't want to say here haha

Betty545

Best answers

my mom used to call my brothers chango's when they were climbing thing's. i think it was BS how the media ran with the racist accusations without taking into account the way Mexicans use that word.

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad