• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

The largest minority Why Mexicans that use the term LatinX or Latino end up marginalized

Hazer

Best answers
If you use the term LatinX because it's the latest trend and you want to feel included, you aren't doing yourself or your own culture any good. In fact, it will only serve to marginalize the Mexican community even more.

Why the term LatinX only serves to marginalize Mexicans?

If we are all bunched up in one pot, they will always pick someone that is not Mexican for a role or position and say they have included a Latino. in fact, they will almost always choose a white Cuban or a black Puerto Rican for example and claim Latinos have been represented. Again, nothing against those two groups, they are all nice and dandy, but they are far from a representation of Mexican culture or people.

Take almost every position given to "Latinos" in the White House. Virtually all high-profile posts were given to Cubans or Black Latinos'. While those minority groups are a smaller percentage of the overall minority population, they are the most represented.

David

Best answers
I agree, Sometimes its important to look at world history and see how the same tactics were used, In Vietnam for example, Under French colonial rule, national identity or authority was illegal.

According to one French colonial edict, it was even illegal to use the name ‘Vietnam’ or "Viet" people. They feared they would become a unified nationalistic block and overthrow the oppressive French government. So the U.S is basically churning out new names for Mexicans, and many are just agreeing with the term without thinking about the reasoning or consequences.

IMO, the don't think the term Mexican is something they'd like every Mexican to use here in the States. they do, however, want to continue to marginalize Mexicans at every turn and say they've been represented after appointing a white Latino.

Juan

Best answers
I guess Chicano isn't something the new generation wanted to call themselves, presumably because they wanted to feel included in the latest fad, plus the old Chicano term had such a negative connotation (gangs) they just went with LatinX. regardless, "Mexican" is gender neutral and its much more representative of Mexican culture than LatinX.

The only thing this has proven is how this new generation is easily manipulated by fads that are being pushed by the media.

Cali

Best answers
I guess Chicano isn't something the new generation wanted to call themselves, presumably because they wanted to feel included in the latest fad, plus the old Chicano term had such a negative connotation (gangs) they just went with LatinX. regardless, "Mexican" is gender neutral and its much more representative of Mexican culture than LatinX.

The only thing this has proven is how this new generation is easily manipulated by fads that are being pushed by the media.
Chicano is just a Mexican subculture, no different than other subcultures. Mexican is the hierarchical term.

maria

Best answers
I think the new generation isn't using it as much because of all the negativity behind it. :censored:
Chicano Cholos ruined it for those that wanted to better the Mexican American community. They were the exact opposite of what the Chicano movement was supposed to be. I'm glad that name is no longer a term most Mexicans use.

#Mexican

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad