• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

Estrella Salazar created a sign language app to help her sister

Rick

Legendary Poster
Best answers
Mexican wiz kid Estrella Salazar, a 17-year-old science prodigy from a humble neighborhood in the suburbs of Mexico City, was inspired by her sister to develop an app to help deaf and hard of hearing Mexicans communicate more easily.

The teenager's older sister, Perla, was born with a rare disorder that affects mobility and hearing called MERRF syndrome.

The 25-year-old underwent a dozen surgeries followed by years of physical therapy, and the family was told at a sign language school that she would not be able to learn language due to her condition.

Salazar, whose academic prowess allowed him to graduate three years early from high school, said that after seeing the discrimination Perla faced, he asked himself, "What am I doing to help my sister?"

Last year, it began developing an application to connect speakers of the Mexican Sign Language (LSM) with hearing users, allowing people to switch from sign language to text or voice, and vice versa.

An estimated 4.6 million Mexicans are deaf or hard of hearing, according to Mexico's statistical agency. There is a shortage of certified LSM interpreters, although many Mexicans act as unofficial interpreters for family members who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Estrella formed a community of nearly 90 participants to develop the app, called Hands with Voice, which she hopes to launch this year. In recent months, the family has begun to learn signs as Perla's mobility has improved.

"I am proud of my sister," said Perla. "And I like having this community too."

Her mother, Leticia Calderón, related that she took Estrella to her sister's therapy sessions and noted the ease with which she understood. "That's where I realize that she learns very quickly," he recalled.

His appetite for knowledge exceeded what his teachers in Nezahualcóyotl could offer, he said. By the time she was 15, Salazar had passed the high school exams and was eager to begin applying her knowledge.

Salazar was one of 60 young people chosen to attend the International Air and Space Program, a five-day camp run this year by a NASA contractor in Huntsville, Alabama, home of the Marshall Space Flight Center.

More info:

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad