• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

Mexico vs USA

truthBtold

Legendary Poster
Best answers
anybody see the game?

Mexico sings the same old story
Canales
Andrea Canales, ESPNsoccernet
Archive

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- It was supposed to be different this time. It was to be the beginning of a new era in the CONCACAF region.

Instead, for Mexico's many eager fans in the stands, it wasn't just the score that was distressingly familiar after the U.S. defeated Mexico 2-0 in Arizona.

Dempsey, Guardado
Tenuto/WireImage
Andres Guardado bemoaned Mexico's inability to finish its chances.

Despite a fresh coach and some inexperienced faces in the squad, the southern neighbor to the U.S. trotted out well-known refrains after the result. In a nutshell, the line is basically that the Americans don't play a true game -- they kill attacks and strike back opportunistically, getting lucky even when Mexico has the better of play, while Mexico is cursed by poor finishing.

That customary excuse was rolled out again in the aftermath of another U.S. win.

"It was a match in which Mexico had all the control," Guillermo Ochoa said. "We had more clear chances, we had more attacks on goal, we did everything, but we failed in the final shot."

Forward Francisco Fonseca agreed: "We had opportunity after opportunity; we just couldn't put the ball in."

The major problem with the recurring theme is just that -- the U.S. continues to defeat Mexico using the game plan that has worked before, while Mexico seems unable to adjust tactics. One would think it wouldn't be possible for the Americans to continue to get lucky in every match on U.S. soil in this century. A 7-0-1 record at home can't happen by mere accident.

But that's apparently what El Tri has convinced itself to believe.

Adolfo Bautista was closest to the truth with his assessment.

"We wanted to win the game, but we couldn't do it," Bautista said, though he didn't care to elaborate.

At times, credit was given to the U.S. effort in the game.

"It was intense," Andres Guardado said of the match. "The U.S. did a good job of shutting us out."

What the U.S. squad was able to pull off against the Mexican team was a textbook case of effective soccer. It wasn't fancy or creative, and it certainly wasn't anything new. That's why the excuses for why the Mexican squad failed to meet its objective came back to the habitual default.

"We had opportunities, but we didn't finish them," Guardado said. "They had two, and they did."

To a certain extent, the players seemed unwilling to place blame practically anywhere near themselves.

"We played well," Gerardo Torrado said. "There was one set play [in which the U.S. scored], and then the referee caused the second goal, and that was it."

After discounting that the U.S. tactics, though inelegant, had worked to perfection, many of the players noted that the match was merely an exhibition, an unimportant game in the larger scheme of things.

"Everybody is calm," Ochoa said. "It's a friendly, a practice game."

In this instance, though, actions spoke loudest. The new jerseys of Mexico were not exchanged with those of the U.S., as is traditional, and the players of El Tri hustled off the field without shaking hands with their opponents.

It was also easy to see the frustrated resentment the loss caused among the Mexican players. Goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez took a swipe at Eddie Johnson after Landon Donovan scored his second goal and ran off to celebrate.

"It hurts a lot to lose to the U.S, because they enjoy it and they take pleasure in it," Mexican coach Hugo Sanchez said. "But one day, it's going to be us celebrating and enjoying the moment when we beat them."

That's not going to happen, though, if the Mexican team continues to believe the outcome is decided mostly by chance.

Yet a realistic and tough look at the lack of bite in the Mexican attack isn't going to come from the top, unless Sanchez is saying one thing to his team and another entirely to the press.

"The result was unjust," Sanchez said. "This is a unique game in that you can deserve to win and still lose. We deserved to win and they did not."

The party line had little deviation among both the experienced and the new blood of the roster, suggesting that the self-deception runs deep throughout. It's a blind spot of sorts, one that the U.S. can probably continue to exploit.

Although Mexican fans like to claim that the U.S. team is hapless, the hard facts show that the U.S. has not allowed the Mexican team to score on American soil for nearly 800 minutes.

In some ways, the U.S. team has found a groove against Mexico, becoming something of a one-trick pony in killing attacks and striking back quickly versus counters. Other teams, such as the Czech Republic and Morocco and others, have figured out that the U.S. is less accustomed to building up an attack, relying instead on counterattacks. Instead of playing into the hands of the Americans, smarter squads have mixed things up by sitting back and forcing the U.S. to seek out the game and move out of its comfort zone.

Those teams were effective because they changed the game plan against the U.S. Yet as long as Mexico continues to blame its losses on fickle fortune and refuses to vary its tactical approach against the U.S., one can expect that it might be a while before Mexico manages to obtain a positive result on American soil.

Andrea Canales covers MLS and women's college soccer for ESPNsoccernet. She also writes for topdrawersoccer.com, lasoccernews.com, soccer365.com and contributes to a blog, Sideline Views. She can be contacted at soccercanales@yahoo.com.

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
nell to much to read da whole thing is dat the U.S. got two goals and beat us........:( i was so pisst.........but whatever................i still gots hope..........:D

truthBtold

Legendary Poster
Best answers
nell to much to read da whole thing is dat the U.S. got two goals and beat us........:( i was so pisst.........but whatever................i still gots hope..........:D

Yeah 45 seconds of reading time is WAAY to long. *truth shakes head* ignorance is bliss!

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
i dont wants to read aight.....damn thas all i know cuz i saw da game.........aight why read it when i saw it............duh??? :rolleyes:

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
i know me too...............pero den i saw da first goal and i was like we screwed mexico had so many chances to get a goal you know i think that when da U.S. goalie gota da ball and entered into the net a bit i think they should have counted dat as a goal cuz he walked in with it........so i think it should have been a goal but whatever stupid motha fukers didnt do siht........:mad:

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
you know what i chose to write like this ok i can write just fine propper if i want to but i chose not too................:rolleyes:

truthBtold

Legendary Poster
Best answers
If you did spend 45 seconds to read the article you would see how many excuses the Mexican team is making and what poor sports they are. They will not improve with that attitude.

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
na es all good im not gonna read dont feel like it today and bout da excuses to tell da truth what's new..........:rolleyes:

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
thas good.............i guess i dont know i mean es just da net.............aight it dont mean i dont read outside of it i read what's important da game wasnt all dat important i mean es just sports if it were somethin dat affected me den id read if not den na whats the point...........

3sa_Angel

Legendary Poster
Best answers
whats the point of readin somethin que no vale la pena if i already saw it and what was happenin and knew bout der attitude all ...............lol...........

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad