• Create Account

In less than 1 min, By registering, you'll be able to discuss, chat, share and private message with other members of our community. All 100% free

SignUp Now!

you mexican brown or white, make your mind up

Dark Mexican

Legendary Poster
Best answers
George A. Martinez
excerpted from: George A. Martinez, African-Americans, Latinos, and the Construction of Race: Toward an Epistemic Coalition, 19 Chicano-Latino Law Review 213-222 , 214-216 (Spring 1998) (54 Footnotes)

I want to focus on the example of Mexican-Americans. Mexican-Americans have been legally classified as white. That legal classification impacts the relationship between African-Americans and Mexican-Americans. It creates a barrier to coalitions with African-Americans and other non-white minorities.
An example from Dallas, Texas is instructive. In the City of Dallas, there are currently major battles between African-Americans and Mexican-Americans over the direction of the Dallas School District. In connection with this conflict, African-Americans have recently expressed resentment toward Mexican- Americans. The resentment is expressed as follows: Mexican-Americans have been free riders. African-Americans fight for civil rights; Mexican-Americans ride their coat tails and share in the benefits.

This resentment has been significantly linked to the legal construction of Mexican-Americans as white. Recently, some African-American leaders in Dallas have argued that Mexican-Americans should not share in the benefits or gains achieved by African-Americans because Mexican-Americans have been legally classified as white. Thus, the relationship between African-Americans and Mexican-Americans is impacted by the construction of race. The legal designation of Mexican-Americans as white raises a barrier to coalition building between African-Americans and Mexican-Americans.

In order to help build a coalition between African-Americans and Mexican-Americans, it makes sense for Mexican-Americans to reject their legal designation as white. Although white identity has been a traditional source of privilege and protection, Mexican-Americans did not receive the usual benefits of whiteness. Mexican-Americans experienced segregation in schools and neighborhoods. Mexican-Americans have been discriminated against in employment. Moreover, in non-legal discourse, Mexican-Americans have been categorized as irreducibly Other and non-white. For example, one commentator described how Anglo- Americans drew a clear racial distinction between themselves and Mexican- Americans:

Racial Myths about Mexicans appeared as soon as Mexicans began to meet Anglo American settlers in the early nineteenth century. The differences in attitudes, temperament and behavior were supposed to be genetic. It is hard now to imagine the normal Mexican mixture of Spanish and Indian as constituting a distinct 'race,' but the Anglo Americans of the Southwest defined it as such.

Given all of this, it does not make sense for Mexican-Americans to retain the legal designation of white. If Mexican-Americans embraced a non-white legal identity, then Mexican-Americans and African-Americans would be able to build a better relationship.

It is pointless for Latinos and African-Americans to divide themselves over the issue of Latino "whiteness." Indeed, to preserve the current racial hierarchy, mainstream white society often attempts to create divisions among minority groups. Given this, Latinos and African-Americans must work together as a coalition in order to dismantle racial subordination. By rejecting the legal designation of white, Latinos would be taking a step toward building such a coalition.

[d1]. Associate Professor of Law, Southern Methodist University. B.A., Arizona State University; M.A., 1979, The University of Michigan; J.D., 1985, Harvard Law School.

Dark Mexican

Legendary Poster
Best answers
it is a disgrace to the native people that died for all of your brown asses if you refuse to reject the idea of being classed as white.

truthBtold

Legendary Poster
Best answers
are u mexican or what?

unibomber.jpg
lol

DoeMemba

Legendary Poster
Best answers
i fuckin hate when mexicans say their latino...like they can't say nothin else..or they can't admit that their mexican.

DoeMemba

Legendary Poster
Best answers
culturally mexico is part of old america's and the great big melting pot in our countries..so that's why we identify as latinos..i can accept that. but literally we brown, we mexican, not latino! i'd rather use the word chicano over latino.

i think that's the blend when we interract with other latinos..like guatamelans, nicaguarians, salvadorians ..ect ect.

Leto

Best answers
My, grandfather was once considered a "spic" when he married my swedish grandmother.
They had to leave the state of Utah, and go to California.
My my grandfather was portuguese.By todays standards Portuguese are white people.What about dark skinned Italians and Romanians ?
I feel left out here........ the proffessor didnt create any divisions for the white people I don't know which ones he's talking about.

They just call us white people......

Basically , people need to get over shit ,take advantage of whatever schooling they are offered, ... realize America has been in an evolution since the day of Independece, has more opportunity to offer for nonn white people than any other country.
Shit look what the Somalis and East Indians are doing to each other in England ..., if they only had the problems the proffessor is whinning about , they would get get down on their knees and thank God.
What's gonna make Blacks and Latino's respect each other is not gonna be what some census report says.
I can fucking guarantee you that B.S. talk is a waste of time.... but the speeches puts money in the proffessors pockets.
After all ... Nortenos and Surenos cant respect each other and they are exactly the SAME color.
So whats gonna make Blacks and Mexican Americans respect each other ?
answer ...... the same thing that's gonna make them respect white people.

you figure out what that is .

I will say though that the first step is to stop acting like a sheep, think for yourselves, .. really learn about the people you THINK you hate...... don't jump to conclusions........... maybe get your ass inn Church.

you figure out the rest , I need a beer.

Dazed

Experienced Poster
Best answers
i'd choose the term latino over chicano any day...

over all...i am second generation mexican.

dr0ne

Best answers
I'm Mexican. That's what I am. People ask me what I am, that's what they get. I don't care what anyone else is.. I got love for white.. black.. BROWN people.. I don't care. But when people ask me, I don't say Latin.. or Hispanic or Chicano.. I say.. for MYSELF.. Mexican. I know what I am, and I wont ever be ashamed of it.

Leto

Best answers
I'm Mexican. That's what I am. People ask me what I am, that's what they get. I don't care what anyone else is.. I got love for white.. black.. BROWN people.. I don't care. But when people ask me, I don't say Latin.. or Hispanic or Chicano.. I say.. for MYSELF.. Mexican. I know what I am, and I wont ever be ashamed of it.

Right on , I'm all for people to be proud for who they are , ...... theres a lot of history to being Mexican , the good and the bad = struggle and accomplishment, and it belongs to everyone who says they are Mexican,wether they are light skinned or dark skinned.
Me.... I say Im American, ......... there is a history of many struggles and fuck ups, ..... but also a history of many sacrifices ,hard work,opportunities found and opportunities lost,to the many people who came here including my family.Whatever it is ,I share that with Americans of any color.

DoeMemba

Legendary Poster
Best answers

there's all there is to be said. every other vato out there, LEARN YOUR HISTORY.

Registrarse / Join The Forum

Proud Sponsor

Ad